Licensing and Identification Cards

NOTE: Please allow 45 days to receive your credential in the mail

Image of iKan appKansas offers driver’s licenses and to all qualified Kansas residents who pass a drive test, written test vision test and can prove their lawful presence. For teen drivers, the state has a graduated driver’s licenses process allowing increased driving privileges with age and experience.

If you are a Kansas resident and are not eligible or do not wish to drive, you may apply for a state issued identification card by providing sufficient proof of identity and residency.

Applicants can request either a commercial or non-commercial driver’s license for automobiles and motorcycles after they have completed all of the required steps.

Veterans may have a veteran indicator placed on their license or identification card. The applicant must submit a United States Department of Defense discharge document (otherwise known as a DD214) which indicates a discharge of "honorable." If they do not have the DD214, the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs will be happy to offer assistance. We also accept Veteran Affairs card (VA ID) and a retired Military ID as proof of "honorable" discharge at the time of issuance.

Teen drivers between the ages of 14 and 17 follow the graduated driver’s license process. Learn more about the varying requirements here.

An applicant who is ineligible to request a license or otherwise does not wish to drive, may apply for an identification card which only requires proof of identity, lawful presence, social security number, and residency in this state.

If you’re between 21-64, download the iKan app to see if you’re eligible to renew online. Download for iOS or Google Play. Or visit

Many of our full-service offices also offer commercial driver’s license testing. Find your nearest office location here.

Q-Flow allows you to get in line at one of the following driver license stations: Topeka, Olathe, Mission, Kansas City, Wichita, Andover, Derby, Overland Park, Lawrence, and Manhattan.

Licensing and identification information

Senior drivers

Teen driving

Commercial driver's license (CDL)